Surfing on the Internet, I bumped into this article from BuzzFeed “45 Reasons Everyone Should Live Abroad Once” and I was surprised when reading some of them. Let’s have a look together.
1. For the passport stamps: well, it can be nerdy, but actually, everytime I was and I go abroad, I plan to add a new stamp on my passport! And what about postcard stamps? Even more addicted!
2. For the stories: of course! Experience and stories!
3. For the authentic recipes: they always taste more savoury!
4. And the local fast food: noooooooo! I personally don’t like this point, but maybe, some of you do…
5. And the chance to try a foreign menu in McDonald’s: NO WAY!
6. To feel lost and be OK with it: I always do…and I kinda like it!
7. To learn that some winters require a heavier coat than others: yes! And that winter in Sardinia is the best of the best!
8. And to learn that sometimes, sun cream isn’t optional: never had this problem, but for sure, in some place, it isn’t an optional.
9. So you can eat late, like the Spanish: my Spanish life!
10. So you can roll your R’s like the Italians: ehm……
11. To question the culture that you were brought up in: sometimes getting to know a new culture makes you critic your and question it.
12. To respect the culture that you were brought up in: as above but without critics.
13. So you can confidently direct tourists: you are one of the rare creatures that speak more than a language and you know the place!
14. To experience bureaucracy in a different language: good luck! Especially if you are in Italy!
15. To realise just how much you value your family: when you are at home you hate all the daily routine of your family and when you are abroad, you miss it!
16. And just how much you need your friends: friends will be always in your mind!
17. To learn how to make new friends: inevitably, if you want to survive and not die of nostalgia, you need to find new friends. These will be not temporary; some of them will remain in your life forever.
18. To wonder how you didn’t know these new friends all your life: exactly! You will find amazing people!
19. To perfect the art of packing a home into two suitcases and a tote bag: there should be a job like this, because it is a real profession!
20. So you can say you did: it is a really big satisfaction!
21. To be thankful for the existence of Skype and FaceTime: if the wi-fi works well!
22. To become skilled at sneaking excess luggage onto a plane: true story!
23. To know where you’ve come from: wizards!
24. To know where you’re going: seer!
25. To learn how exactly to serve absinthe: especially at the “Fiestas Erasmus” in Spain!
26. To realise that no matter how lonely you are, you can get through this: sometimes it is right to feel alone; take your time and breathe, particularly at the end of a bad day!
27. To see the sun set on the other side of the world: amazing….especially a sunset on the sea, if you are accustomed to see the sunrise.
28. To become adept at bargaining a taxi fare with only three phrases in that language: you will know the tricks!
29. To see the Northern Lights from your bedroom: it has to be the most beautiful show ever!
30. To see Venice from your window: if there isn’t fog!
31. So you can distinguish Malbec from merlot: who?! Just kidding….
32. And Glühwein from Glögg: who?! Not kidding!
33. So you can have your own part of a new city: yeah! The boss of you district!
34. To realise that you don’t need a common language to flirt: ahahah!
35. To build your photo album for your grandchildren: be carefull! You will have to choose among billions of pictures!
36. To fill your journal with memories: or not if you don’t like to write.
37. To take pride in the moment, and not worry about documenting it: as above.
38. To watch home sports in a different language: usually a wonderful experience!
39. To watch new sports and become obsessed: if you have lost your hope about be successful in a sport and you find your in another country!
40. To eat cold soup: if you like it……
41. To drink hot whiskey: OMG!
42. To meet fascinating new people: always a pleasure.
43. To realise that people might find you fascinating too: of course! If you don’t have friends at home, you can find some during this new experience.
44. So you can prove the guidebook right: or Google Maps!
45. So you can prove the guidebook wrong: write immediately to Google service!!!
And you? what you will add?